Topic Options
#55358 - 09/28/17 07:33 AM Problems with Folder Capture and Printing PDFs
Clays Ltd Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Suffolk - UK
Hi,
I have a config which will take a dat file and convert it into a pdf. As part of the pdf conversion the file is saved into a Folder Capture input folder called PrintQueue.
I then have a second process which picks up the pdf from the PrintQueue folder and is supposed to print it as a pdf to a Printer Queue Output which will be a Kyocera printer.

The problem I am having is that the Folder Capture Input seems to be taking the pdf and converting it into a dat file in the C:\ProgramData\Objectif Lune\PlanetPress Suite 7\PlanetPress Watch\Spool\1.tmp folder. When I look at this dat file it looks like it is supposed to be a PDF file.

The service console shows the following info:
Processing file C:\Users\pdf.server\Documents\PrintQueue\DRQ360.pdf
File captured : C:\ProgramData\Objectif Lune\PlanetPress Suite 7\PlanetPress Watch\Spool\1.tmp\job00ZYWNISL8VJ30E4C34928.dat, size: 32833 bytes

Is this how the Folder Capture Input works? Is it meant to convert the data its picking up into a dat file?

If this is the case then what is the best way of printing a pdf to a printer with a dynamic change of print copies?
I can do it with the metadata but I don't have any licenses to use the Print Using a Windows Print Driver. I also can't see how to set the dynamic number of copies using the Print Using a Windows Driver.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks,

Aaron
Clays Helpdesk

#55359 - 09/28/17 10:31 AM Re: Problems with Folder Capture and Printing PDFs [Re: Clays Ltd]
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
The PDF is not converted by the Folder Capture task. The task simply makes a copy of the file and works with that copy. In creating that copy, it assigns a unique name to it (always with a .dat extension). If you absolutely need the file to have a PDF extension, then you can use the Rename task and set the new File name value to %o, which is the original name of the file that was picked up by the folder Capture task.

To print a dynamic number of copies to a printer that uses a Windows Driver, you could simply use a loop just before the Output task and specify the number of times you want that loop to execute.

#55362 - 09/29/17 01:42 AM Re: Problems with Folder Capture and Printing PDFs [Re: Philippe F.]
Clays Ltd Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Suffolk - UK
Hi Phillipe F.
That makes sense.
I tried the Rename action and it works like a charm. I also managed to sort the dynamic number of copies to print as well.
Thanks for the help.

Aaron
Clays Helpdesk