Topic Options
#55432 - 10/26/17 06:39 AM 'Variable' in "Open PDF pasword" ??
Andy1974 Offline
OL Guru

Loc: Hong Kong
Dear everyone,

Hello !!
I get a problem which I hope someone can give me a advice or suggestion.

I want to know that is it possible to set a local variable or global variable in "PDF open password" in "Digital Action Properties" ?

Because I finished to generate a payroll report pdf, but
my boss wants me to add open password on this report which
according to each employee, that mean, each employee has his/her own open password on this report.

I've already setup a database to store each employee open
PDF password, but when I try to key in a local or global
variable in field "PDF open password", it'll show * asterisk instead of inputted characters.

How can I setup a variable in "Open PDF password" in function
"Digital Action Properties" ? If it is impossible, is there any way to fulfill my boss's request ?

Many thanks !

Best Regards,
Andy..

#55435 - 10/26/17 04:24 PM Re: 'Variable' in "Open PDF pasword" ?? [Re: Andy1974]
Jean-Cédric Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Québec, Canada
As often it is with password field, it does that to prevent someone from opening your config and see what's written there. Although it does it as well for variables, just test it and it should work. I see where it could be misleading when you are using variables, then again, if someone has access to your configuration, then they can see the content of the variable as well..make sense?

If you need to see what is in the variable, use the Debug Information tab on the lower rigth corner of your Workflow configuration.

#55436 - 10/26/17 11:35 PM Re: 'Variable' in "Open PDF pasword" ?? [Re: Andy1974]
Andy1974 Offline
OL Guru

Dear Mr. Jean-Cedric,

Thank you your reply on my question !

Yes, I know what you're concern... And my database which
store the PDF open passward of this report is already set to password protection, so normally if someone can access this database accidentally, they'll request to login the password.

Although, I can set a fixed value in "PDF open password"
when configure "Digital Action Properties" in workflow,
that mean all of our company employees will use same
password to open their own payroll report PDF.

However, if I do this setting, due to this payroll report PDF contain each employee personal private information, so if this report is accidentally opened by other employees, they can
input this "fixed password" to see the content of this PDF,
so that is the point which my boss concern.

Now, I want to know is it possible to read the database
and then get the password of each employee to set the
"Open PDF password" when configure "Digital Action Properties" in workflow ??

I've tried to key in local variable, e.g. %EMPASS in position "Open PDF password", but all I key in characters are changed to * asterisk, so I think this position "Open PDF password" cannot aceept variable.

If it can't do it, is there any other ways to do it ?

Sorry for me to ask many questions !

Now, my planetpress production version is 7.5.3.8067.

#55437 - 10/27/17 10:08 AM Re: 'Variable' in "Open PDF pasword" ?? [Re: Andy1974]
Jean-Cédric Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Québec, Canada
In all our software of the Suite, when you have a burgundy colored label field, it means that you can use dynamic values which include variables.

The asterix is only the way the field behave as I explained in my first answer. So if you right-click on the field and select Variables->Local variables or Globales variables, they will be there but you will still see 2 asterix in their place.

#55438 - 10/30/17 03:59 AM Re: 'Variable' in "Open PDF pasword" ?? [Re: Andy1974]
Andy1974 Offline
OL Guru

Dear Mr. Jean-Cedric,

Thank you your reply on my question again !

I can now set local variable on "Open PDF password"
successfully and it's work.

Many thanks !
Best Regards,
Andy...