Topic Options
#55614 - 01/18/18 01:21 AM How to determine workflow is finished completely ?
Andy1974 Offline
OL Guru

Loc: Hong Kong
Hello everyone !

Happy new year 2018 !!

My question is I've a workflow to capture invoice text data
from folder(DATA1). Then after capture these text data, it'll generate into invoice pdf file by each customer and then save into another folder(DATA2).

For example, if capture 100 customers invoice text data, and then it should be generated 100 customers invoice pdf files. Please pay attention number of customers are not fixed, that mean not always capture 100 customers invoice text data.

Now, I want to know is there any ways to determine all invoice text data are finished to generate pdf files ?
Because when all pdf files are finish to create, I want to add one job to copy all invoice pdf files from folder(DATA2)to another folder, e.g. folder name is DATA3.

Many thanks !
Best Regards,
Andy...

#55615 - 01/18/18 09:00 AM Re: How to determine workflow is finished completely ? [Re: Andy1974]
MartinS Offline
OL Guru

Loc: Munich
you could use the plugin "Folder listing" to check if all files had been processed, you also could use this plugin to control what file to process in what order

#55617 - 01/18/18 10:11 AM Re: How to determine workflow is finished completely ? [Re: Andy1974]
gleesons Offline
OL Newbie

You can make use of branches to accomplish what you're looking to do. Everything in a branch will execute before going back to the main branch and continuing down the process.

Your processes input task cannot be a folder capture on DATA1 though. You'll need to do your folder capture on DATA1, the PDF creation, and sending to DATA2 folder all in a branch. So by the time you exit from that branch you can be sure that anything that was in DATA1 is now a PDF in DATA2.

You can replace your processes initial input task with a "Create File" task or a Folder Capture that is looking for a trigger file.

#55620 - 01/19/18 12:37 AM Re: How to determine workflow is finished completely ? [Re: Andy1974]
Andy1974 Offline
OL Guru

Hi Martin,

Thank you your reply on my question !

Sorry, you suggest me to use "Folder listing" to check if all files had been processed, but actually the source customer text data are not fix, so I don't know how many PDF files will be saved in folder(DATA2). How can I use "Folder listing" to check this folder(DATA2) ??

Best Regards,
Andy...

#55621 - 01/19/18 12:52 AM Re: How to determine workflow is finished completely ? [Re: Andy1974]
Andy1974 Offline
OL Guru

Hi gleeson,

Thank you your reply on my question !

Actually my workflow is as below :

< START >
=========
(1) Folder Capture
(capture one text files from folder(DATA1), but it contains
many pages of customers data)
|
|
(2) Emulated Data Splitter
(split on customer code change)
|
|
(3) Digital Action
(Generate each customer text data into PDF and then
save into folder(DATA2))
|
|
(4) Delete(Recycle bin)

< FINISH >
==========

My question is I want to create a procedure to copy all generated pdf files into another folder(DATA3), so how can
I know this workflow is finished completely ?

I can't set schedule to do this copy proceudre because I
don't know the finish time, so how can I get the "Finish
signal" from this workflow ?

Many thanks !
Best Regards,
Andy...

#55622 - 01/19/18 04:23 AM Re: How to determine workflow is finished completely ? [Re: Andy1974]
MartinS Offline
OL Guru

Loc: Munich
Why not just having your steps 2, 3 and 4 in a process branch, and when it has finished to create all PDF files it goes back to the main branch where you pick up all files in DATA2 and copy to DATA3 (by using a Folder Capture and a Send-To-Folder task.

#55624 - 01/19/18 09:33 AM Re: How to determine workflow is finished completely ? [Re: MartinS]
gleesons Offline
OL Newbie

They need to be capturing the data from DATA1 in the branch as well.

Once the branch completes (data captured, PDF generated & sent to DATA2), it will go back up to the input on DATA1 to check if there are any more files to process.

Once it finishes with the last PDF and finds there is no more data in DATA1, then it goes back to your main branch and you capture everything in DATA2.

#55632 - 01/22/18 12:40 AM Re: How to determine workflow is finished completely ? [Re: Andy1974]
Andy1974 Offline
OL Guru

Hello Martins & Gleesons,

Thank you all your suggestions, and I'll try it.

Thanks & Regards,
Andy...