Topic Options
#55665 - 02/05/18 07:13 AM as400 line printing and embedded control character
Jean-Marc Offline
OL Newbie

Hello All,

I set up an LPD input in PPWatch from my iseries which get data ok.
We know that there is a 'ghost' column, lets call it column 0, in the data which contains the page control characters for the printer

• ' ' = go down 1 line
  • '0' = go down 2 lines
  • '-' = go down 3 lines
  • '+' = keep on this line
  • '1' = next page
and yes, this is the FBA os/mvs format smile
'+' is used for overprint (simulating highlight) and underlining, as do manual typewriters and IRL line printers.
Now, this column is stripped at some time in the transfer. I can reapply formatting later in the workflow, but each line is actually printed : the overprinted lines appear twice, and the underline is on
a line of its own.
What would be the smartest way to correct that ?
Thanks in advance!
jm.

#55669 - 02/05/18 04:03 PM Re: as400 line printing and embedded control character [Re: Jean-Marc]
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Sounds like a Channel Skip emulation to me...
In PlanetPress Design, double click on your data file and in the Emulation drop-down box, select Channel Skip. You will probably have to change the default values for each channel.
See this online help page for more information.

#55673 - 02/06/18 04:27 AM Re: as400 line printing and embedded control character [Re: Jean-Marc]
Jean-Marc Offline
OL Newbie

I found the channel skip (even if the french menu translation is closer to 'chain jump'), but the control column is stripped somewhere in the transfer beetween the as400 and planetpress, so I get the same result than with the line printer emulation :

Code:
 Nø plan : P1005000 E                   Format :

MATIERES ET FOURNITURES

R‚f‚rence             Article         D‚signation           
 FAVG                  28              VISSERIE GALVA A CHAUD

I investigate in this direction ATM, thanks for your reply.

(I also have a transcodification problem, yes)

#55676 - 02/06/18 09:38 AM Re: as400 line printing and embedded control character [Re: Jean-Marc]
Jean-Marc Offline
OL Newbie

transcoding prob. is that the as400 sends ascii437 by default.
a translation plugin step did the job nicely.

concerning my main problem, ibm websites talk about 'ascii transparency', *USERASCII spool files, etc...

I tried to define and use a PrinterFileDescription (CRTPRTF) with PrinterDeviceType = *USERASCII to no avail.

Would you have a clue about this problem?

jm.

#55678 - 02/07/18 07:42 AM Re: as400 line printing and embedded control character [Re: Jean-Marc]
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Unfortunately, the last time I played around with an AS/400 was over a decade ago and I'm no longer familiar with its functionalities.

I am almost certain you are on the right track in attempting to modify the format of the printer queue on the AS/400 itself, but that's as far as my advice can go.

#55680 - 02/09/18 06:04 AM Re: as400 line printing and embedded control character [Re: Jean-Marc]
Jean-Marc Offline
OL Newbie

so, after a lot of reading (and for future reference) :

- ASCII transparency is not what you think : it is a way to mask 255 characters of controls to the attention of your printer from the data flow

- *USERASCII is the way to go, but you have to use it at the very moment where you define your output in you CL/PGM, as400 side. this option is not authorized in external printfile definitions.
You could write a postprocessing job, reading the present *SCS file and writing the needed *USERASCII one, but it is not an option for me.
(Nor than changing the original job).

A specific Manufacturer type and model (MFRTYPMDL object) would be the ideal way to address this case, I think, if somebody is willing to develop it, just tell smile !!

thanks for your attention.