Topic Options
#55684 - 02/13/18 05:41 AM Low res image issue
markfarwell Offline
OL Newbie

I'm having an issue where PDFs are coming out very low res. When I do a soft proof in design it comes out fine, but when running the job through workflow the PDFs come out and the images look very low res.

#55685 - 02/13/18 08:51 AM Re: Low res image issue [Re: markfarwell]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Hi markfarwell,

What are you using to create your pdf file? Are you using "Create PDF", or are you using Image/Digital Action? The Create PDF action is simple, but it doesn't have much control over the quality of the output, it just uses some default settings that are find for most jobs, but might not always be top quality. If you use an Image output(or the Digital Action plugin), you can have more control over the resolution and quality of the output. Of course, Image does require the "Imaging" license, which you might not have, but I believe that you can still try it out and see if it makes a difference. (you'll get a watermark if it's not activated, obviously)

This could also explain why you get a different result in Workflow versus Design. It's possible to configure the PlanetPress document's settings to have higher resolution for the images, but I believe that Create PDF's settings might be overriding them with different settings, which are lower than what you set in your document.

Regards,
Raphaƫl Lalonde-Lefebvre

#55686 - 02/13/18 08:59 AM Re: Low res image issue [Re: Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre]
Sammhill Offline
OL Newbie

Hi Raphael,

I'm experiencing a similar issue - does the digital action plugin require a imaging license too?

Kind regards,
Sam

#55688 - 02/13/18 09:07 AM Re: Low res image issue [Re: markfarwell]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Yes, the Digital Action plugin also requires an Imaging license. It's basically the same thing, except that Digital Action is an "action" plugin, instead of an "output" plugin. Digital Action is also synchronous to the other actions, whereas Image is asynchronous, and uses it's own service to create pdf files in parallel to the process that called it. Other than that, they are the same, and require the same license.