Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56357 - 10/09/18 04:55 AM Can I force printer into Duplex?
Phree Offline
OL Expert

Loc: South Coast, UK
Hi,

I have a process that takes PDFs and prints them as a passthru. By default, the printer is set to simplex, no staple. My PDFs need to print duplex & top left staple. I can change the settings via the printer gui prior to the print run but does anyone know if there's a way I can do it within my workflow?

#56360 - 10/09/18 08:56 AM Re: Can I force printer into Duplex? [Re: Phree]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Hi Phree,

Have you tried using "Print Using a Windows Driver"? It will allow you to print your pdf files using the printer's driver, except that you can change the settings without altering the printer's default settings. So you can leave your printer's default settings to simplex no staple, but in Workflow, the "Print Using a Windows Driver" task can call duplexing and stapling, and it won't affect other jobs from other sources.

Regards,
Raphaël Lalonde-Lefebvre

#56361 - 10/09/18 08:59 AM Re: Can I force printer into Duplex? [Re: Phree]
Jean-Cédric Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Québec, Canada
You could try to see if your printer react to PJL commands. If so, then it is only a matter of adding the right sequence in front of your PDF.

Print your PDF from Adobe through your printer Postscript driver while selecting your duplex and tray call. If it works properly, redo the previous step but print to a file and look if PJL commands are being added.

#56366 - 10/10/18 05:11 AM Re: Can I force printer into Duplex? [Re: Phree]
Phree Offline
OL Expert

Hi,

thanks for the replies.

I tried Raphael's solution - but I couldn't get it to work...The incoming files are already PDFs but I can't find anywhere in the Print using Windows driver output to select the job as passthrough? I tried using a random form but this appeared to generate errors (although it might mean something to you...):
No Windows printing mapping file found for PPD: OCE VarioPrint 120 PS3. PPD command will be ignored.

I had a look at Jean-Cedric's reply...Opened the PDF in adobe, selected duplex/staple and tried to print to file. Choices were Microsoft XPS or Adobe PDF. Tried both of those and couldn't see any PJL commands.

Thanks...

#56367 - 10/10/18 05:28 AM Re: Can I force printer into Duplex? [Re: Phree]
Phree Offline
OL Expert

Don't know if this will help but just had a look at our printer specs and found this bit:

Adobe PostScript® 3, PDF 1.7, PCL 6 / HPGL 2, XPS, IPDS, PCL / PJL

So I'm assuming that I can somehow maybe use Jean-Cedric's suggestion? If so...Where/how would I add the commands in my Workflow?

Thanks.

#56368 - 10/10/18 08:58 AM Re: Can I force printer into Duplex? [Re: Phree]
Jean-Cédric Offline
OL Expert

Ok...first, you need to install the Postscript driver for your printer on the workstation where you open your PDF into Adobe. In your case, OCE VarioPrint 120 PS3

Once done, you will have it as a choice when it comes to print.

Then, you print, as previously explained, selecting the finishing option you desire and you send it to the printer. Once it has the proper behaviour, you redo the exact same steps BUT you will print to a file.

Then you open that "print to file" into a text editor and you should see PJL commands at the beginning of the file, provided that your printer driver does add them.

Hope that is clearer.

#56369 - 10/10/18 09:42 AM Re: Can I force printer into Duplex? [Re: Phree]
Phree Offline
OL Expert

Hi, thanks, that's great...Will give that a try tomorrow. So if I can achieve the above, how would I then add those commands to future prints within my Workflow?

Thanks.

#56371 - 10/10/18 09:59 AM Re: Can I force printer into Duplex? [Re: Phree]
Jean-Cédric Offline
OL Expert

Simply by using the Add/Remove Text plugin.

So your PDF will come in, using the mentioned plugin above, you will add the PJL commands in front of it and deliver you PDF to your printer.

#56374 - 10/11/18 05:11 AM Re: Can I force printer into Duplex? [Re: Phree]
Phree Offline
OL Expert

Thanks again Jean-Cedric. I don't think it's going to work for me though. I did as you said and did a print to file - saved as a .ps file? I then opened it in notepad++ and had a look through it but couldn't find any PJL commands, it all appears to be just postscript. I found some parts in the file that related to duplex/staple etc:
Code:
%%BeginSetup

featurebegin{
%%BeginFeature: *Duplex DuplexNoTumble

%%EndFeature
}featurecleanup
featurebegin{
%%BeginFeature: *StapleWhen Done

%%EndFeature

But that's just postscript isn't it?

I've spent an hour this morning having a look around the web trying to see if I can find PJL commands related to my printer but no joy. Finally, I tried adding some PJL that I found to my workflow, just as a test:

Code:
<ESC>%-12345X@PJL COMMENT *Start Job* <CR><LF>
@PJL JOB NAME = "Sample Job #1" <CR><LF>
@PJL SET COPIES = 3 <CR><LF>
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL <CR><LF>
<ESC>E. . . . PCL job . . . .<ESC>E
~<ESC>%-12345X@PJL <CR><LF>
@PJL EOJ<CR><LF>
<ESC>%-12345X

That didn't work either - although I wasn't surprised as that wasn't specific to my printer.

So then I started looking through the Tech guide for my printer and found this, which suggests I should be able to use PJL cry

https://imgur.com/a/RXObKoF

Thanks again for the replies,
Neil.

Edited by Phree (10/11/18 05:26 AM)

#56375 - 10/11/18 07:04 AM Re: Can I force printer into Duplex? [Re: Phree]
Phree Offline
OL Expert

Found what I think are a couple of good reference PDFs:

https://files.lfpp.csa.canon.com/media/A...69830529347.pdf
https://files.lfpp.csa.canon.com/media/A...69830529353.pdf

Tried some things from there as the add/remove but the PDF still prints single sided/no staple.
Code:
<ESC>%-12345X@PJL
@PJL SET DUPLEX=ON
<ESC>%-12345X@PJL
@PJL EOJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >