Topic Options
#57001 - 05/07/19 11:59 AM Variable overrides, like Job Infos
Ken Stulce Offline
OL Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO
In the PP7 Design Tool, if you double-click on the Document name to go into the properties, then go to "Job Infos", it provides the ability to override any defaults coming from Watch for testing purposes. Does this same ability exist for custom Variables declared in Watch?

As an example, I have Watch setting the value of a Job Info, but when testing or generating PDF proofs from the Design Tool (not using Watch at all), I can set a default Job Info to use for just the PDF proof. I'm looking for a similar way to do the same thing, but instead with Variables assigned by Watch, and pulled into the Design Tool with the "=ExpandString()" command.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Best Regards,

Edited by Ken Stulce (05/07/19 12:01 PM)
Essex Industries, Inc.
-------------------

#57002 - 05/07/19 12:45 PM Re: Variable overrides, like Job Infos [Re: Ken Stulce]
jim3108 Offline
OL Expert

Loc: London, UK
Couldn't you specify them as global variables in the document and then only write to them depending on printermode?

So...

Code:
&myDocumentVariable := 'test'
if(&printermode > 5)
   &myDocumentVariable := ExpandString('%{myWorkflowVariable}')
endif()

Now these variables will only be overwritten in automation mode. Line 1 is extraneous if you're just going to set them in the document structure in the UI.

Hope this helps.

#57004 - 05/07/19 01:09 PM Re: Variable overrides, like Job Infos [Re: Ken Stulce]
Ken Stulce Offline
OL Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Thank you, James! This is a great solution...I didn't think about using PrinterMode as a conditional to make this happen. I appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Essex Industries, Inc.
-------------------

#57007 - 05/07/19 04:59 PM Re: Variable overrides, like Job Infos [Re: Ken Stulce]
jim3108 Offline
OL Expert

Loc: London, UK
Glad to help.