IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

These forums will be permanently set to read-only mode on July 18, 2022. From that day on, no new posting or comment will be allowed on the site, but the historical content will remain intact and searchable.

A new location for posting questions about PlanetPress Suite is now available:

OL Learn - PlanetPress Classic (opens in new tab)

Topic Options
#58193 - 10/29/21 12:02 PM How to print selected records via production
Sami786 Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Home
Hi, Is there anyways to print selected records, for example, can we get an option pop out on the screen to enter start and end records.

Currently, we daily load many very big *.csv data files on the PP Design form, and then we send it to the printer by manually selecting start and end records.

Please share your thoughts on how can I achieve this or the best way via Production without loading the data in the form.

THANKS

Edited by Sami786 (10/29/21 12:03 PM)

#58194 - 11/02/21 11:17 AM Re: How to print selected records via production [Re: Sami786]
Sami786 Offline
OL Expert

any thoughts or I might have asked a question that there's no answers or workaround for this!

#58195 - 11/02/21 11:36 AM Re: How to print selected records via production [Re: Sami786]
Jean-Cédric Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Québec, Canada
You could add at the beginning of your CSV file 2 lines:

1- the starting record
2- the ending record

Then in your Workflow process:
  • You read that CSV file as Line Printer
  • Extract the first two lines in corresponding variable EX: firstREC, lastREC
  • Remove the first two line
  • Using a script, remove all records that don't fit the range propose by the firstREC, lastRec
  • Continue your process
Take one down
Code around
127 frigging bugs in my code
♪♫♪♫

#58196 - 11/03/21 11:45 AM Re: How to print selected records via production [Re: Sami786]
Sami786 Offline
OL Expert

Sounds like a good plan :), but a bit of manual work is required by the operator to open the data file and add the two lines for the start\end of the record. Human error could happen.

Question the start record could be from anywhere in the data file, I think I need help with the script if you can. This could be a very good workaround for us. thank you for the guidance.

THANKS

#58197 - 11/03/21 11:52 AM Re: How to print selected records via production [Re: Sami786]
Jean-Cédric Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Québec, Canada
The operator could as well make a human error by entering the wrong start and end from a popup wink

Anyhow, If a popup is what you prefer, you could develop a simple application, in the language of your choice. It could be an application that allow the operator to select the file, then the application offer two field (start record and end record).

Once entered, the application adds the two lines to the beginning of the file and save it into the folder input of your process.
Then the Workflow, as I have described it, executes the rest.

If you need help with designing the application for the operator to use, you can talk to your OL Reseller and he will be able to set you a quote for the job to be done. You can, as well, ask for the complete process to be done by us.
Take one down
Code around
127 frigging bugs in my code
♪♫♪♫

#58198 - 11/03/21 02:49 PM Re: How to print selected records via production [Re: Sami786]
Sami786 Offline
OL Expert

Thank you and I'll open a support call.